Climbing – The Falklands climbing experience (3-4 hrs)
The Falklands is not well known for its rock climbing but there is plenty to be found.
Climbing in the Falklands:
The Falklands isn’t well known for its climbing scene but in the last few years it has exploded largely due to the enthusiasm of a few. There are now several small climbing gyms in various garages around the Falklands who encourage others into the sport.
The rock in the Falkland’s is a combination of sandstone and quartz which is often crumbly and covered in lichen. However, there are some fantastic crags which you can just about guarantee to have to yourself with massive potential for putting up new routes- there is no official guidebook as such, but some local climbers are working on putting something together.
The best of the crags are probably on West Falkland so involve a lot of travelling, but if you make a trip of it with loads of self-catering accommodation nearby… it’s definitely worth it!
The Falklands rock is mostly sand stone and quartzite. Because of the untouched nature of the Falklands the rock often has a layer of lichen which can make climbing more challenging however, there are areas where this can be avoided and some great wilderness remote climbing venues. The climbing scene in the Falklands is growing rapidly and there is normally plenty of people keen to get out on the crag. Just get in touch if you would like any more information.
£75/person- minimum 3 persons per booking*
4-8 £250/per group
The climbing venue may be between 10 and 45 mins travel from Stanley. The climbing experience will be approximately 4hrs depending on travel time. A more advanced trip to bigger and better venues could be organised. The trip will include:
- Perfect for team building and birthday parties.
- Climb on almost untouched climbing venues.
- Have the opportunity to try an adrenaline pumping abseil.
- View the wild mountains of East Falklands.
- Explore the remnants of the 1982 conflict including old Argentine shelters and monuments.
No matter what your previous climbing experience is we can adjust this experience to suit you. We also offer this experience for birthday parties or as a team building activity. Everything we do is planned with sensitivity towards the safety and experience of the client and responsible interaction with the natural environment.
Climbing is a weather-dependent activity and the Falklands’ weather does change very quickly with strong winds, which can have a particularly unpleasant effect on a climbing trip. If it isn’t safe or going be as enjoyable as it should be the trip will be postponed, or an alternative activity provided.
MEETING POINT + TOUR DURATION
Meeting Point Options: Stanley- to be organised.
Duration: 4 hours depending on weather and the groups preferences.
4WD Toyota Land cruiser- max group of 8:
- Pick up in 4WD vehicles from the Stanley area if necessary.
- All equipment and guidance necessary.
- Preparation of climbing equipment- depending on the goals of the group.
- A bespoke climbing experience depending on the interests and aspirations of the group.
- Hot drink
Because of the safety kit that is available we cannot cater for everyone.
- You must be at least 11 years old.
- All children below the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian..
- All participants must weigh between 30kg and 110kg (safety equipment limits).
- If you are pregnant then I’m sorry but you will not be able to come on this tour.
- If you have any medical/other important information that we should be aware about you must include this on your booking. This is so we can assess whether this tour is appropriate and if we can cater for your needs safely. If it’s not possible to go ahead with your booking we will let you know at the earliest opportunity.
WHAT SHOULD I BRING
The following items will make your day more comfortable. If you are having a problem obtaining any of these items, then get in touch and we will try and help you out. The sun is deceivingly strong in the Falklands due to the cooling winds resulting in a high risk of sunburn.
- Warm clothing/thermals/hat.
- A pair of old trainers.
- Sun protection- cream, hat and sunglasses (important even in cloudy conditions)
- Warm socks.
- Windproof jacket.