Kayaking – Guided sea kayak journey (4hrs+)
Our most popular trip!!
Kayaking in the Falklands:
Kayaking and sea kayaking, is a rapidly growing sport in the Falklands. Historically the Falkland Islanders have not been a sea faring nation however, they have always had strong links with the ocean. In their early years the leading industry was ship repair with many skilled craftsmen having links to tragedies on the Ocean. My family is not unfamiliar with these stories as my grandmother often told me about my great grandfather who swam ashore after his ship was wrecked and decided dry land was his path!
The costal environment of the Falklands is truly spectacular and without doubt Sea Kayaking is the best way to explore it. Paddling past white sandy beaches and being immersed in amongst penguins, dolphins, sea lions and often whales… if you’re here at the right time of year is truly an awe-inspiring experience. However, the weather conditions of the Falkland’s can make kayaking challenging. The weather systems pass through very quickly with a common occurrence of seeing a glimpse of all seasons in one day. To sum it up ‘when its good it will be incredible but then plenty of wind in-between’.
If you plan to kayak without a guide, then you must take time to compare forecasts and always have a plan for it the wind gets up unexpectedly. There have been a few international trips/expeditions circumnavigating the Falklands as well as a couple of local paddlers doing some exploratory trips but there is still plenty of areas to be explored. Real wilderness adventure which is yet to be discovered!
The half day tour, although only 10 mins from the Falklands’ capital Stanley, will feel remote and wild. We will kayak to beautiful white sandy beaches and have a chance of seeing a vast range of Falklands wildlife – penguins, sea lions, whales, dolphins and an array of bird life. Kayaking in the Falklands truly is something special and will be guaranteed to be a highlight of your time here.
A full group of 6 – £90/person
- Get a unique close-up view of a remote penguin colony.
- Explore the rugged coastline from the sea.
- As you paddle look out for Magellanic, Rockhopper, King and Gentoo penguins, Cormorants, Sea Lions, Commerson and Peale’s Dolphins.
- All essential activity equipment will be provided including a full drysuit.
- See our social media links for some amazing pictures from previous trips.
Kayaking is a weather-dependent activity and the Falklands’ weather can change very quickly with strong winds, which can have a particularly dangerous and unpleasant effect on a sea kayak journey. If it isn’t safe the trip will be postponed, or an alternative activity provided.
MEETING POINT + TOUR DURATION
Meeting Point Options: Stanley- to be organised.
Duration: 4-5 hours depending on weather and the groups preferences.
4WD Toyota Land cruiser- max group of 6.:
- Pick up in 4WD vehicles from the Stanley area if necessary.
- Preparation of kayak equipment- we will do what we can to protect you from the elements, with full dry suits provided.
- Travel to the start point is a short trip in a 4WD vehicle.
- Safety brief and basic kayak instruction.
- On the water- exploring the wild coastline and getting close to the unique wildlife.
- Time for a quick hot drink before travelling back to Stanley.
Because of the boats we use and safety kit that is available we cannot cater for everyone.
- You must be at least 11 years to take part in this journey.
- All children below the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian.
- All participants must weigh between 30kg and 110kg (safety equipment limits).
- If you are pregnant then I’m sorry but you will not be able to come on this tour.
- If you have any medical/other important information that we should be aware of you must include this on your booking. This is so we can assess whether this tour is appropriate and if we can cater for your needs safely. If it’s not possible to go ahead with your booking we will let you know at the earliest opportunity.
Is this the trip for you
For those who want an adventure come and ‘explore more’ with Falklands Outdoors. Falklands Outdoors is the only tour operator in the Falklands offering sea kayaking and other adventurous activities. Everything we do is planned with sensitivity towards the safety and experience of the client and responsible interaction with nature.
WHAT SHOULD I BRING
The following items will make your day more comfortable. If you are having a problem obtaining any of these items, then get in touch and we will try and help you out. The sun is deceivingly strong in the Falklands due to the cooling winds resulting in a high risk of sunburn.
- Sun protection- cream, hat and sun glasses (important even in cloudy conditions).
- Warm clothing/thermals.
- Warm Hat
- Waterproof camera/phone case
- Warm socks.
- Spare clothing and towel in case you get wet.
Q. Do you have to be an accomplished Sea Kayaker?
A. Not at all. All abilities are welcome although you must be physically up to the challenge of carrying, launching and paddling for an extended period of time.
Q. Do you have to be able to do an eskimo roll?
A. No, there will be no need to enter the water if you do not want to. The kayaks that we use are extremely stable and designed to keep you up the right way.
Q. Do you like a challenge?
A. Yes – great, sea kayaking in the South Atlantic can be challenging. The weather can change quickly and the sea temperature is certainly fresh! However, the rewards far outweigh any discomfort.
Q. Do you like to get off the beaten track?
A. Yes – then this is the tour for you. Falklands Outdoors are the only tour provider offering outdoor adventurous activities, and locations are chosen for remoteness and to provide a completely different perspective to the normal tourist trail.