Kelp Point – Southern Elephant Seals and Gentoo Penguins
An adventurous Off Road Journey with Breathtaking Wildlife Wxperience
This wildlife watching adventurous experience has the perfect combination of 4WD remote travel with several of the Falklands spectacular highlights.
The journey will take about 1. 5hrs each way with significant driving off-road. However, the slight discomfort only makes the reward even more special.
There are three points of interest, the gigantic breeding Southern Elephant Seals growing up to almost 4 meters in length and weighing up to 4000kg, the shipwreck of St Mary, one of many casualties of the challenges of rounding Cape Horn in the late 1800s.
Then last but not least the industrious Gentoo penguin colony on a beautiful white sandy beach.
What better way to make the most of your short visit to the Falkland Islands.
The tour will include pick up from the Jetty Center/Cruise ship terminal.
– 1. 5hrs journey to Kelp Point (half the journey on gravel roads and half off-road 4WD adventure) we’ll be passing interesting historical and geological landmarks.
– Before you know it we will be arriving at the remote breathtaking location of the breeding Southern Elephant Seals.
– We will then have time to explore the surrounding area having the option to visit a historical shipwreck and breeding Gentoo Penguin colony.
– If time allows I will finish the tour with a guided highlights tour of Stanley the Falklands Capital. I will then either drop you back at the cruise port or wherever you would like to carry on exploring on foot.
* For customizing this tour, please inquire for a quote.
MEETING POINT + TOUR DURATION
Meeting Point Options: Cruise Ship Port, Suggested by Guide: Jetty Centre in Stanley – where cruise ships tender to shore.
Duration: 5 hours
5hrs depending on weather and the groups preferences.
4WD Toyota Landcruiser.
If you would like to book for a larger group then get in touch and I will do what I can to accommodate and give a new quotation.
- Guiding Services
- Private Transportation
- Admission Tickets
Other: Packed lunch, contact me for preferences or dietary restrictions.
Lunch will include (or similar):
Home made sandwich- cheese and tomato/ cheese and pickle/ cheese and salad.
Home made snack/cake.
Crisps or similar.
Piece of Fruit.
ESTIMATED LOCAL CASH NEEDED
30 GBP – Only necessary for souvenirs or a drink in one of the local pubs at the end of the tour. Bank cards are accepted in most shops otherwise GBP or USD are accepted.
- Personal Expenses
A lot of the wildlife view point locations we visit are wild spaces without tourism infrastructure. Therefore, it is often necessary that there will be some walking over uneven ground. I will give more information on the tour pages.